Friday, April 13, 2007

Who better to fight corruption?

Than those with experience?
World Bank president Paul Wolfowitz faced a fight for his political life Friday after the development lender's directors demolished his defense in a favoritism scandal surrounding his girlfriend.
...
More than 100 pages of documents released with the statement revealed that on his personal direction, Riza was given raises that took her annual pay package to nearly 200,000 dollars when she was reassigned from the World Bank to the US State Department to forestall any conflicts of interest after Wolfowitz took charge of the bank in June 2005.
...
"I made a mistake, for which I am sorry," Wolfowitz told a news conference. He said that "in hindsight, I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations" over Riza's generous pay deal.
...
The controversy has become a deep embarrassment for Wolfowitz just as he battles to overcome skepticism about a campaign that he is waging against corruption in the 185-member World Bank's multi-billion-dollar lending.

No comments:

Search This Blog