Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Subpoena shampoena

Senate Committee to Gonzales: AHEM
Last week, the Senate Judiciary Committee issued a subpoena for any of Karl Rove's emails in the Department's possession that might be relevant to the U.S. attorney firings. The deadline was 2 PM yesterday. The deadline came and went. And now Chairman Pat Leahy (D-VT) and ranking member Arlen Specter (R-PA) are angry.
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but... isn't this breaking the law? I think that Congress relies on the DOJ to enforce subpoenas... is this right? and if so... well then, um. What the hell happens then? Oh! Impeachment!

1 comment:

nick said...

This is an interesting issue. At this high level of government, who exactly is the determinant and enforcer of the law? If I were issued a subpoena, and did not respond, I would be arrested. So can this committee do the same? I doubt it. So who can? Its interesting because the whole idea of law breaks down at this high level. In my case, if I dont respond to my subpoena, the issuing lawyer, is, in effect, a law enforcer in that he can compel a police officer to arrest me. But Lahey and co. are not enforcers, as they are in the Legislative branch. I'm not informed enough about how this works, and I'm sure it would take a law degree to fully understand.

Search This Blog